Here are the short lists for the nominees for this years Hugo awards. A total of 1923 valid nominating ballots were received and counted. This count of 1923 greatly exceeds the previous years record of 1,343 nominating ballots. That’s a good trend.
I was at Minicon and watched the live stream amidst a group of fans. I like that format and since the numbers are increasing, it seems to be a useful thing to be doing. As I gather my thoughts together, I’ll be posting about nominees (I have linked where I’ve already made posts). In the mean time, I am eagerly awaiting the Hugo Voter Packet.
Best Novel (1595 nominating ballots)
- Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
- Neptune’s Brood, Charles Stross (Ace / Orbit UK)
- Parasite, Mira Grant (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
- Warbound, Book III of the Grimnoir Chronicles, Larry Correia (Baen Books)
- The Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (Tor Books / Orbit UK)
Note: The Wheel of Time series was nominated as and ruled to be a multi-part serialized single work, as defined in Section 3.2.4 of the WSFS constitution.
Best Novella (847 nominating ballots)
- The Butcher of Khardov, Dan Wells (Privateer Press)
- “The Chaplain’s Legacy”, Brad Torgersen (Analog, Jul-Aug 2013)
- “Equoid”, Charles Stross (Tor.com, 09-2013)
- Six-Gun Snow White, Catherynne M. Valente (Subterranean Press)
- “Wakulla Springs”, Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages (Tor.com, 10-2013)
Best Novelette (728 nominating ballots)
- “Opera Vita Aeterna”, Vox Day (The Last Witchking, Marcher Lord Hinterlands)
- “The Exchange Officers”, Brad Torgersen (Analog, Jan-Feb 2013)
- “The Lady Astronaut of Mars”, Mary Robinette Kowal (maryrobinettekowal.com/Tor.com, 09-2013)
- “The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling”, Ted Chiang (Subterranean, Fall 2013)
- “The Waiting Stars”, Aliette de Bodard (The Other Half of the Sky, Candlemark & Gleam)
Best Short Story (865 nominating ballots)
- “If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love”, Rachel Swirsky (Apex Magazine, Mar-2013)
- “The Ink Readers of Doi Saket”, Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Tor.com, 04-2013)
- “Selkie Stories Are for Losers”, Sofia Samatar (Strange Horizons, Jan-2013)
- “The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere”, John Chu (Tor.com, 02-2013)
Note: Category had only 4 nominees due to the minimum 5% requirement of Section 3.8.5 of the WSFS constitution.
Continue reading Hugo Awards 2014 — Shortlist